Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Need assistance understanding my rights and the treatment I am receiving in regards to my loan. 

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-07-09

PM

Consolidated student loans in 2000, total of loans around $13,500.  Made years of payments, but eventually faced financial hardships, got on forbearance, was never sent another statement or received any correspondence until the loan was in default. Now a company is servicing the loan as a collector(was not sold to them according to their agents). They are claiming my “principal” is roughly $16,500, and show no records of any of the payments I made for years. I asked them to define “principal”. They said it is simply the amount of the loan minus any payments that weren’t covering interest. I asked for all of my records, as they say I am entitled to them, and I only received the original contract I signed. No record of payments or any other items. So now they say I am supposed to pay back like $25,000 t 16% interest, which is double the interest on the original agreement. I am wondering what are my rights, and how they can have a principal balance higher than I ever borrowed in the first place. I was already told that my account was mishandled once by a rep with the original loan company, but then the line mysteriously disconnected. I am not trying to hide from my responsibilities or say that I haven’t done anything wrong, I am just asking for fair treatment and accurate accounting. Any advice?