Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Possible to have Capitalized Interest Forgiven?

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-10-19

PM

My wife finished grad school about 8 years ago from a private university, in which she took out significant student loans to pay for.  We have been paying extra on her loans in order to pay them off faster.  Recently, I discovered that my wife, over the life of her loans, has had about $54,000 in interest capitalize!  Since the time she had to start repaying her loans, she has never missed a payment.  However, it seems like that payment was never enough to pay off the interest that had been/was accruing and so it eventually capitalized.  She had Stafford loans, both subsidized and unsubsidized and Graduate Plus.  Last year, she consolidated all her loans though.

Question: Is there anything I can do about getting rid of the capitalized interest and not have to pay it?  She says she was never made aware of the capitalized interest issue but I imagine somewhere in the fine print of whatever she signed back then it stated that interest may eventually be capitalized. Any advice? Anything I can do?

Thanks much