Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Work at a public university

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-04-19

PM

I was wondering if working at a public university qualifies for PSLF? They are an exempt organization because they are considered a state agency but the university is *not* a 501(c)(3). Under PSLF, I do not know if “public education” includes only pre-K through high school. In case it matters, I work in admissions for a graduate program at the university, and my loans are through IBR.

Thank you!

Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-04-25

PM

I am a medical resident employed by University of [my home state.]  I recently submitted my employment certification form for PSLF for this job and I received a response affirming that my job does indeed qualify for loan forgiveness. 

If you are already working for a university, I suggest you submit the PSLF certification form, I got a response back in about a week.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/public-service-employment-certification-form.pdf

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-04-19

PM

Thanks Red! I don’t work there yet so I can’t send in the form. I’ve been in public service employment for the past several years and am considering a job offer with a state university. After several years of being in public service, I don’t want to take a job that would jeopardize me getting to 10 years.

After talking to a lot of people, I think the school qualifies as a government agency. Makes me nervous that I’m not sure though.