Welcome guest, please Login or Register

PSLF:  Are “Independent agencies and government-owned corporations” and “Quasi-official agencies” “public service organizations?”

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-01-28

PM

Good morning Heather:

Thanks much for this amazing resource that you have created and maintained for so long.

A search of the forum does not appear to address my direct question below; if so, my apologies, and please direct me to the link if you do not mind.

If not, here is my question:  I have looked at online resources, and at the PSLF statute, and I am a bit confused on whether several entities would be considered “public service organizations” for purposes of PSLF.  Based on your understanding, do entities such as, for instance, Amtrak and the Smithsonian Institute count?

The organizations in question are, roughly, those listed as “Independent agencies and government-owned corporations” and “Quasi-official agencies” in this Wikipedia article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_agencies_in_the_United_States.

My reading of the statute indicates that it is likely that these would be considered public service organizations, but I was wondering if you had any insight on this issue.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Best,
Jason

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 604

Joined 2011-03-30

PM

Sorry for the delay, Jason.  This post escaped my attention earlier.

Hmm, Amtrak could qualify if recognized as government due to its role in public transportation and public funding, but it is operated as a for-profit so couldn’t meet the definition of public service org.  I’m not sure the officials have answered this specifically. 

Smithsonian is non profit and provides one or more of the listed functions, right?  So in my view should qualify as a public service org.

You think?

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

I see this post has been here for some time now. Has a difinitive answer to the Amtrak eligibility question been found? Has anyone successfully done this?

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 154

Joined 2015-01-08

PM

I worked for a municipal corporation which I wasn’t sure counted due to its “quasi-government” nature, but I called Fedloan servicing and they mentioned that they had a database of qualifying organizations and confirmed that the organization that I worked for was on there. Even if it wasn’t in the database, it didn’t mean that it wouldn’t have counted….it’s an evolving database and when more and more people get certified, organizations are added to the list. you can call them and see if Amtrak is currently eligible…but due to their “for-profit” status, I somehow do not think it will qualify.