Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Answers from Heather :: Other Student Loan Topics :: Thread

Private consolidation services

Poll: If you have used a private refinance company, please rate the service:
Total Votes: 0
Great! Well worth it.
So-so. Not sure I’m better off.
Terrible. Should never have done it.
I’m in a world of hurt. Help!

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-05-30

PM

My daughter is a veterinarian and has a student loan balance of almost $150K. After 4 years, her balance has barely budged though she is keeping up with paying off interest. She had GLAdvisors for a time and they did help with the maze of getting her set up in IBR, but their services quickly turned to useless. Now she is married and wants to accelerate her payoffs using her quarterly bonuses (they vary based on production at the clinic). Her loans are divided between Great Lakes (good servicer) and Navient (horrible, terrible, awful servicer). I have been looking into private consolidation services online. Most of her loans are at 6.55% or 6.8%. These private services dangle reasonable rates but I have no idea their reputation or value. I found a number of them at this site: https://studentloanhero.com/featured/5-banks-to-refinance-your-student-loans/. Companies like Earnest and SoFi. Is there any ratings or feedback on these services? In general, is refinancing with these services a bad or good option? ****for the poll, if you have no experience, select the last option and I won’t count those answers - inexperienced poll creator***