Welcome guest, please Login or Register

110k in Private Student Loans

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-08-15

PM

Hello,

I’m looking for some advice.  My fiancee has about 100k in private student loan debt and is looking to refinance.  In a nutshell, he has called just about every major student loan refinance company and been denied due to one reason or another.  The only way anyone will refinance his loans is if he has a cosigner.  There is literally no one, friend or family, who is willing to do this for him. I am also not in the best situation to help him by cosigning.  He applied for a one year deferment that reaches it’s end in November 2016.  Even with this deferment he is still paying out $1,100/mo just for interest, and when the deferment ends, his lender told him payments would be about $2,500/mo. He makes a decent wage but certainly doesn’t make enough to afford a payment like that every month.  He has spoken to his lender and they made it sound like there was nothing they could do for us.  We are pretty scared about what will happen once November hits and have thought about possibly hiring a lawyer but are not sure who to turn to.

Any advice on this would be so helpful.

Thanks,
Sara