Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Answers from Heather :: Other Student Loan Topics :: Thread

Escaping Loans Overseas

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-01-14

PM

Hello:
I am considering moving overseas (to central or south America) for many reasons, and one of them is to escape my federal student loans.  What are the ramifications of moving abroad to escape the debt?  I have enough money to buy property overseas and get a simple job and make enough money to survive there.  Would I still be able to return to the US?  Would the government be able to collect from me in a foreign country?

Thank you!

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2015-10-10

PM

I’ve been working overseas and had to pay the default 100.00 on an IBR plan. If I file taxes and show 0 income in the US I may only have to pay 0 a month.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2016-07-31

PM

This is a great question! I’ve often wondered what it’d be like to just leave my $186k behind and go somewhere else to start over. I really hope someone (Heather?) replies to this. It’s a mix of “curiosity” vs “I might actually do it.”

Joined 2016-08-23

PM

joemoon - 31 July 2016 05:09 PM

This is a great question! I’ve often wondered what it’d be like to just leave my $186k behind and go somewhere else to start over. I really hope someone (Heather?) replies to this. It’s a mix of “curiosity” vs “I might actually do it.”

You’re right

Signature

24/7 emergency water damage restoration in Arlington, Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, Brockton,

Joined 2016-05-01

PM

Calm down!