Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Will my social-enterprise job in education count for PSLF?

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-10-26

PM

Hi Heather, After years of work in non-profits and as a public school teacher (where I unfortunately made the wrong kind of payments, so was not making PSLF-quaifying payments), I am now on IBR - yay! I am currently working at what is potentially my long-term “dream job,” teaching social-emotional skills to children in public and charter schools. My employer is a new start-up with a great mission. We are a social enterprise, but not a nonprofit. We do some fundraising (seeking corporate donations for our work in low-income schools), but mostly we pay for our programs by charging fees for our classes and/or using money earned from our more expensive classes (e.g., those offered to health-care professionals) to subsidize the lower paying classes in schools (‘cause doctors can pay more than school principals). So, while our education mission and work is “non-profit-like,” we are a technically a for-profit company. I’m a teacher there. Is there any chance my payments can qualify for PSLF?

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 154

Joined 2015-01-08

PM

I don’t believe it will… if you look at the definition of what employment qualifies, all of them are non-profit. working at hospitals will only count if they are non profit. Working at a university counts, but only if it’s non-profit. If they change to a 501c3, then it could count.