Welcome guest, please Login or Register

501(c)(6) organizations include Business Leagues, Home Builders Association, Chambers of Commerce, Real Estate Boards, etc.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-08-01

PM

Would working at a 501(c)(6) non-profit organization that acts as a quasi-governmental regulator qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness?

For example, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. http://www.finra.org/.

Thank you in advance!

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 604

Joined 2011-03-30

PM

As we say in the south, it “might could”!  To qualify, the organization must provide at least one of the following public services: Emergency management, Military service, Public safety, Law enforcement, Public interest law services, Early childhood education (including licensed or regulated child care, Head Start, and State funded pre-kindergarten), Public service for individuals with disabilities and the elderly, Public health (including nurses, nurse practitioners, nurses in a clinical setting, and full-time professionals engaged in health care practitioner occupations and health support occupations, as such terms are defined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics), Public education, Public library services, School library services, or Other school-based services.

Also, it has to NOT be a business organized for profit, a labor union, a partisan political organization, or an organization engaged in religious activities unless the qualifying activities are unrelated to religious instruction, worship services, or any form of proselytizing.

I’m thinking “public interest law services” right?  “Public interest law services” means “legal services provided by a public service organization that are funded in whole or in part by a local, State, Federal, or Tribal government.”

Joined 2013-03-26

PM

FINRA is not funded in whole or in part by any local, State Federal, or Tribal government. It’s funded primarily through assessing fines and fees from its member firms. To anyone’s knowledge, is there any way FINRA could meet this or any exception? Thanks!

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 604

Joined 2011-03-30

PM

Public Education!  Public education it is!  I just took a look at the FINRA site (sorry such a delay!).  The definition of “public interest law services” includes a government funding bit but not Public Education, and I see that is in FINRA’s mission!  You need this: http://askheatherjarvis.com/uploads/images/1845-0110 PSLF ECF_Final_Expires 20141130.pdf

Joined 2013-11-03

PM

Would working at a 501(c)6 like the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in my hometown qualify for this? I saw that education is a factor the organization must have and we offer workshops and educational services, though I’m not sure if that qualifies as public education. Do you know if it may qualify?

Thanks for your help!

Joined 2015-04-09

PM

I worked for 16 months F/T at the NC Nurses Association http://www.ncnurses.org which is a 501(c)(6) professional organization for all Registered Nurses in NC (it is not a partisan organization or labor union).  I was in IBR during this time I worked here, and I thought these student loan payments could go towards the PSLF…now I’m not sure if NC Nurses Association is considered a public service organization and would qualify for PSLF.  Any information you could provide would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Joined 2015-05-08

PM

Similar: Would working for economic development agencies qualify for PSLF? I called and the agency is not on the approved or denied list. Therefore, I would have to have a reviewer take a look. It is a 501c6, helping the regional economy by conducting research and attracting business development.Funding is public/private combination. Do you have any information on other economic development agencies qualifying under PSLF?
Thanks!

Joined 2015-09-01

PM

BUMP for chamber of commerce questions posted by @thefictionwelive. My wife works for our local Chamber of Commerce and trying to find out if she qualifies. The link posted above about Public Education is also broken so curious if that might have some answers. Thanks!