Welcome guest, please Login or Register

can part-time work for my own not-for-profit (not a 501c3) qualify me for PSLF? (combined w/work for a 501c3)

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-12-27

PM

I graduated in May 2014 and in June began working 30 hours per week at a 501c3 nonprofit. When I submitted paperwork to register for PSLF. I received notice back verifying that the nonprofit indeed qualifies for PSLF, but that I do not because I’m considered a part-time employee. I called FLS to clarify and they explained that if my employer had check the “full-time” box, it would have counted, but because they checked “part-time,” it doesn’t count. This was frustrating to hear because, in terms of hours per week, I’m doing the hours listed as required for PSLF! Grrr!

Okay, done venting, now here’s my question…

Part of why I work 30 hours per week for said 501c3 instead of 40/“FT” is because I also run a nonprofit artist collective that I founded in 2009. Our 501c3 status is through fiscal sponsorship from another nonprofit, and the fiscal sponsor already told me they wouldn’t be able to verify my employment for PSLF. Our collective is certainly a not-for-profit in my eyes and in the eyes of our funders/donors/constituents/clients (and our mission/services include PSLF eligible services: e.g. public education), but I need help determining whether this entity is or can be considered a not-for-profit to qualify me for PSLF. I have been running the organization since 2009, working anywhere from 5-30 hours per week depending on time of year and what projects we’re doing. We have our own EIN #, but my tax preparer said in the eyes of the law this is basically a small business in my name. She wasn’t sure if such a small business could have or get not-for-profit status. The other complication is proof of wages. In recent years I have been paid small annual stipends for my work, but in the early years I was an entirely unpaid volunteer. Since I have the other job with a 501c3 for 30 hours per week, is there a way for me to qualify for PSLF through verifying that the collective I run is a not-for-profit that I have been getting paid (a little bit, at least) to direct? I’ve read all the chains here remotely related to this, but am still not sure I have a clear answer. Is it a matter of just submitting the paperwork and seeing what happens? Or is there something I can do more proactively to make sure we have the correct status in place before submitting the PSLF papework?

And/or is there anyone you would recommend I should reach out to about this? Is there some process by which a small business can apply for recognition of not-for-profit status that is perhaps less intensive than what it takes to become a full-fledged 501c3? (I have seen in other posts you recommend Paul S. Garrard, but I’m not sure if this is a case for him or someone else…?)

Thanks for any feedback you have!

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-04-05

PM

Wondering if you found any help on this problem? I have an almost identical situation, also with an arts collective, etc., and can’t find any advice on this!